Why use our Careers & Enterprise Service?
Schools and academies have found it difficult to provide careers and enterprise advice after the recent closure of Connexions. Some education establishments provide careers education it in-house but found that pupils don’t always perceive the careers advice to be impartial. Clients have said that Aspire People Careers & Enterprise service gives pupils the chance to speak to real industry specialists and gain careers advice off recruitment specialists.
Increased engagement by employers at school can help address issues of low aspiration and social mobility.
A report by Deloitte, examined how employers can contribute to improving careers education.
- It found that 95% of young people agreed they would like employers to be more involved in providing advice and guidance about careers and jobs.
- In the past two years, 42% of those surveyed said they had no contact with employers at all.
Motivating pupils can be a challenge, especially when they are focusing on short term objectives, rather than career prospects after school.
What does the service entail?
Aspire People organise, manage and run a series of careers education workshops aimed at different age groups. The careers education programme will be tailored to each individual academy or school. For example one school might have objectives to focus on year 9s, looking at options after GCSEs and gaining work experience. What ever your objectives are, Aspire People will create a programme specifically towards them. Below is a taster of sessions that we can provide:
CV Writing Workshop
Creating a unique and neat template
Vocabulary and synonyms
How to sell yourself , what are employers looking for
Following up a CV
How to write a covering letter or personal statement
How to write a covering letter or personal statement
- Who is your audience
- The science behind writing
- Suitable vocabulary, style and formatting
The life of University
- What is it like being at university? What should I study?
- What happens afterwards?
- Tackling concerns over money
- Hear from a professional who has been there and done it
How to find and keep a job, including weekend and temp jobs
- How to take a pro-active approach to finding a job
- Types of roles
- Job searching on the internet
- Following up applications
- Using holiday jobs as a way to develop your future career
- How to network and get the most out of opportunities
- Each candidate is interviewed for their desired job role
- Honest and constructive feedback is recorded and delivered to each pupil at the end of their interview
Personal appearance & presentation Skills
- The importance of first impressions
- How to look and act the part
- Conveying hidden skills and talents in to words
- What is work experience ? what type of business should you look for?
- How do you find work experience, covering letters and following up
- What is expected of you from work experience
- How to make the most out of the opportunity and future prospects
Motivating pupils to look to the future
Got a group of pupils that just can’t look beyond the short-term objectives? Perhaps they have lost direction and want to hear from someone who has been through the same thing. We have apprentices and young individuals in our business that can present to pupils about where they were, what troubles they faced, how they pulled themselves out of it and where they are now. This has been one of our most popular workshops.
A few example case studies
- Bristnall Hall Academy CV writing to tutor groups and Year 9 Careers day – Aspire People have been holding careers education workshops at Bristnall Hall Academy since 2010. Workshops included CV writing to tutor groups and multiple Careers Day workshops to Year 9 tutor groups every year. Sam Green held the sessions and said “It was great to see the pupils taking on board what we were saying and coming up with great personal statements they didn’t think they could write at the start of the class. Area Leader of PSHE at Bristnall Hall Academy said: “The feedback from both staff and students is very positive and we really appreciate the fact that Aspire People give up their time to help us. From all staff and students at Bristnall Hall Academy…thank you”
- Perryfields High School Enrichment Day in 2010 and 2011 – Aspire People ran a school enrichment day 2 years in a row for Perryfields High School. It entailed CV and interview workshops and how pupils use their CVs in an interview for talking points. Miss Hewlitt, the Enrichment Day Coordinator said: “thank you for providing excellent speakers and CV writing activities for our pupils. The staff and children were all very enthusiastic about the sessions and one girl said to me today ‘I went home and wrote my CV Miss…and my mum’s and dad’s!’ It is often difficult to inspire young people to be proactive about entering the world of work but the students on Wednesday were inspired and enthused.”
- Plantsbrook School Work Experience Programme – Aspire People organised a Work Experience Programme for Plantsbrook School in 2011. Mrs. Westwood, the school’s Business Managers said: “This was a major commitment by Aspire People and the studnets found the experience very beneficial. It gave them the opportunity to understand commitments of a working environment and develop skills in communication and organisation. We look forward to working with them again”
- Norton Canes & Endon High School Interview Skills – In 2010 Aspire People did an interview skills work shop at both Norton Canes and Endon High School. Each candidate was given a choice of job roles they could apply for and then interviewed for around 15 minutes. Pupils were then given constructive and honest feedback on the interview.
At a time when there is considerable pressure on public spending, positive steps and measures can be taken by schools and employers, to work together to instill careers education into the curriculum. Organisations have been charging thousands per day for this service and ripping off education establishments. At Aspire People we will charge you a rate that you can afford within your budget. All programmes are tailored to each individual school, college or group of academies. We can offer singular sessions if you want to try us at first and we also offer 20% discount if you book 3 sessions.
If you want to enquire about prices for this service ring Cherie-Anne Baxter today on 0121 314 3606.
Every candidate undergoes the following vetting procedures:
Face to face interview
Child Protection training
Fully Enhanced CRB
ISA barred list check
Employment and education references
Right to work in UK
Proof of Identity
2 x proof of address
Proof of NI
Proof of name change
Confirmation of GTC
Medical & health check
Overseas police checks
“our boys get to experience first hand what it is like to communicate with an employer”
‘Aspire People took part in an interview day that we held for pupils. Not only did they allow the boys to practice their interview technique but they coached and mentored them, providing constructive feedback. This additional service has a positive impact on the education we provide our pupils. They get to experience first hand what it is like to communicate with an employer.’
“If only all agencies valued candidates the way Aspire People do”
Even though I came from an industry background my consultant genuinely valued the experience I could bring to a school. She really went that extra mile to find me work by organising training on school IT systems. On top of that she secured me voluntary work to support my Diploma in School Business Management Studies.
Within one minute of sending my CV, Aspire contacted me for an interview
Aspire have been very influential in my career. After qualifying as a teacher, I was unsuccessful in securing a full-time teaching job. Within one minute of sending my CV, Aspire contacted me for an interview. They have been able to place me in a school on a long-term basis, which has been welcomed with gratitude. I am grateful and thankful to all of the team working for Aspire people, they are a great agency to work for. All members of staff have shown true professionalism and worked hard to ensure that myself and other colleagues who I have met through the agency are always working.
“The Woodlands School gets vouchers from Aspire People, we put them towards prize giving for pupils”
I frequently recommend Aspire People. Sometimes to acquaintances looking for work, to our own staff looking to gain experience before a GTP qualification or for those looking for a permanent position. The school received some vouchers from Aspire People which the Head of Science used to provide prizes for attainment for students of all abilities in science. Not only does the school benefit but the candidate we recommend and Aspire People.
“I have had nothing but first rate service from Aspire People”
“Since I first started working with Aspire People and my consultant Adam, I have had nothing but first rate service. I have found them to be assiduous in finding work placements, and supportive once on placement in all ways. I have been so impressed I recommended a friend. Adam is a great guy and I really cannot praise him too highly.”
Trusted because of an honest and open approach
Wheelers Lane Technology College have used the services of Aspire People for the last five years. The quality of staff supplied by Aspire are excellent and they adapt well to our school environment.
One of Aspires’ many qualities is the excellent relationship developed between their consultant and the school. Aspire are agency that are trusted because of their honest and open approach to their customers. Aspire will continue to be the agency that this college will contact in the first instance in respect of daily cover needs.
Safeguarding documentation is fantastic
I have used Aspire People since 2009, during this time I have found my consultant, to be very professional, honest and accommodating. The quality of safeguarding documentation is fantastic, having photographic evidence already on it gets a very big plus mark from our front office staff! Our business manager also likes the easy and efficient way that payments can be made. Overall I am very impressed with the service provided .
Aspire understands our needs and so we invariably employ their candidate
Aspire People have always been able to respond to requests with quality staff. Although we use a range of agencies when trying to fill long term we invariably employ the candidate recommended by Aspire People. This is because we have built up a relationship whereby our requirements are known and understood by them. As an Outstanding school at the forefront of educational provision it is essential that every lesson is delivered to the highest standards. The relationship we have with Aspire People is that we can candidly make our requirements known and they are able to choose a candidate that they are confident will meet our needs.
Aspire People has always been a pleasure to work with, totally professional,efficient and patient.
I have worked for Aspire People for four years and during that time, Aspire People has always been a pleasure to work with, my consultant Mark has always been totally professional,efficient and patient. I have always felt that Mark listened to my requirements for work and has consistently tried to match me with appropriate schools and year groups. Mark has been very understanding with family commitments so I have recommended Aspire People to several friends and to other supply teachers, and will continue to do so in the future.
I have been in work more or less everyday
My consultant, Mark Birmingham, ensured I was in work more or less everyday. All the placements I had were at nice schools, within a reasonable travelling distance – Mark always checked whether the schools were appropriate for me to travel to before waking me up!! A lot of my earlier placements had been day-to-day, which sometimes led to weekly placements at schools.
If you’re looking for an honest, efficient & quality provider of staff look no further than Aspire
“Holyhead had previously not used agencies. As a last resort I approached Aspire People about a DT technician. It was the best decision I could have made. We have been so impressed by their quality and efficiency we now contact Aspire People first regarding vacancies. If the candidate is suitable we keep them on a 10 week temporary basis then employ them ourselves with no extra cost! If you are looking for an honest, efficient and quality provider of staff then look no further than Aspire People.”
I was encouraged to do my PGCE
Having started as a cover supervisor, Aspire People actively encouraged me to qualify as a teacher and advised me which course to choose. After gaining my PGCE, I had no hesitation in working with them again as I knew there would be regular work and I would be treated professionally. Over the last three years I have been made to feel part of the team and have always felt supported through any difficult times I have had whilst working in education.
I am very pleased with the service I receive from Aspire. I feel valued as a member of their team
I have been working as a supply teacher for Aspire since March 2013. They have provided me with work at a variety of schools, both locally and further afield. I am currently completing a long-term cover at an East Staffordshire school. I am very pleased with the service I receive from Aspire. I receive an email confirming each contract very promptly, and the pay system is very efficient, and easy to use. My consultant is very professional at all times, and is always aware of my requirements. She has maintained very accurate records, and contacts me regularly for feedback, and confirmation of my availability. I feel valued as a member of their team, and would highly recommend Aspire to both schools and teachers.
A consistently friendly service from Aspire People and our Consultant
Aspire People offer a very efficient and friendly service. All their consultants are highly professional and the company is able to consistently deliver high quality supply staff
My consultant reflected the professional and personal qualities that Aspire People prides itself on
Right from when I registered, my consultant Emily reflected the professional and personal qualities that Aspire prides itself on. Emily understood my adaptability as a teacher but also my needs in terms of the type of school that would suit me. Clearly taking time to study the detail of my CV and skills and experience, this ensured bookings were appropriate for both myself and the school(s). I found Aspire People helpful, polite and dedicated. I recommended Aspire to a colleague largely on the basis of how Emily had presented herself and the agency.