Senior Science TechnicianRegister with us
Job Reference: 000010168579498743
Date Added: 12.04.18
£ £9 - £11 per hour
Job Type: Education and Training
Sector: Office and Technical Support
Senior Science Technician
37 Hour Per Week
Mon- Thurs 8am-4am and Friday 8am-3.30pm (half an hour lunch)
GBP9-11 per hour.
Aspire People are looking for a Senior Science Technician to start with one of our schools as soon as Monday. The school we are working with are in the LE5 postcode. The position is full time and temporary, however, it the right candidate is found it is the chance to go permanent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To be responsible to the head of Science coordinating the use of, and development of practical resources and facilities, including the provision of guidance and support in meeting the practical requirements of the Science curriculum.
2. Responsible for the day to day allocation of duties to other Science Technicians
3. To ensure that the technical staff and their procedures meet the needs of the Science Faculty’s staff and students.
4. To ensure that the Science Faculty apparatus, equipment, chemicals, compounds and other material resources are accounted for and are stored or maintained in accordance with national and local policy and procedures.
5. To assist teachers in the provision of high quality science lessons by providing and setting up practical resources as requested.
6. To optimise the use and availability of science materials and equipment and maintain the highest standards of safety.
7. To ensure that classrooms, preparation and storage areas are kept clean and spillages and waste are properly disposed of.
8. To ensure that the School’s/College’s policy and procedures are followed in dealing with parents, staff and pupils.
9. To maintain good relationships with parents, staff and students.
10. To implement and promote the School/College and Leicester City Council’s policies and procedures relating to all areas of employment and service delivery.
11. To develop technical expertise in the equipment and apparatus used in science teaching and new techniques that facilitate practical and investigative work in science teaching.
12. Manages all resources within the Science Faculty/Department designating classes, tasks and responsibilities as appropriate to assigned technician staff.
13. Oversees records and accounts for any apparatus, equipment, laboratory services, facilities, stationery, schemes of work, etc. and monitoring stock levels and assisting with the planning of new or replacement needs/requirements and budget process etc.
14. Orders new and replacement materials/equipment and checks invoices from suppliers in accordance with annual budget/plan, using petty cash for consumable purchases.
15. Prepares and sets up equipment, apparatus, materials, solutions and stationery for use in demonstrations or practical science classes, assisting where appropriate.
16. Retrieves and clears away apparatus after classes, disposes of waste laboratory materials and spillages in accordance with guidelines.
17. Organises and monitors the storage of equipment, materials and apparatus in the preparation areas and records use of appropriate hazardous materials according to departmental procedures.
18. Assists with resolving difficulties with equipment and apparatus used in science lessons.
19. Develops new science practicals/demonstrations and trains staff in these and in the use of science equipment/apparatus.
20. Covers in the absence of any other science technician staff.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post or statement of procedures and tasks, but sets out the main expectations of the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties. It will be reviewed at least once each year, and it may be subject to modification or amendment at any time by the Headteacher/Business Leader after consultation with the holder of the post.
Health and Safety
So far as reasonably practicable, the postholder must ensure that safe working practices are adopted by employees, and in premises/work areas for which the post holder is responsible, to maintain a safe working environment
for employees and service users. These are identified in the college’s Health and Safety Policy.
Employees must adhere to the council’s equal opportunities policies and ensure anti-discriminatory practice within the service area.
Employees must have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and follow the child protection procedures adopted by the college/authority
Please email for any questions.
Aspire People Limited provides services as an Education Agency and an Education Employment Business. Aspire People is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and expects every candidate to share this commitment. Placements are subject, to appropriate Child Protection screening, including checks with former employers and the Disclosure and Barring Checks.